Thursday, January 1, 2015

Using Props Effectively in Product Photography

If you have to take your own product photos, you may find yourself wondering: Props or No props?

There are plenty of reasons why you might not want to use props:
    A wooden spoon seems like a nice prop for
    an apron. But not when the color clashes.
    I altered the color of the spoon in
    Photoshop to make it extra-distracting.
  • The prop clashes with your product. It could be the color, size, scale, or texture. Sometimes a prop that seems to be perfectly appropriate for the item just doesn't work. One of the most common examples I see is when sellers don't pay attention to texture. If you have a fine-textured, detailed item, a coarsely-textured prop may or may not work depending on how far away you are shooting from and whether the surfaces are matte or smooth. 
  • The prop distracts from what you're selling. If you find yourself looking more at the prop than at the item, then it's not a good prop. If you look through a lot of catalogs, you'll see that products are often presented completely alone - there's nothing to distract from the product. 
    So far, nobody has wondered whether the
    spoon comes with this embroidered apron.
    However, if I used this this image to sell
    the SPOON, it would be too confusing. 
  • The prop has nothing to do with the product or its use. (If you're going to include a prop, be sure to have a reason why it's there.) You certainly don't want your buyer wondering why it's there. The apron photos I'm using would be a lot less effective with a toy dinosaur stuffed into the apron pocket - unless, I was trying to sell the apron to a daycare provider or something.
  • It confuses your buyer in any way. For example, your buyer may wonder if the prop is what is for sale or if it comes with the product. Sometimes, it's useful to include a note in the item's description or caption just to clear up any possible confusion - particularly if you only have a few photos up.
    Based off this photo, you might
    assume that this is a hat for kids...
  • The prop leads the buyer into thinking the product is meant to be used in a way that is not intended.  For example: if you show something with Swarvorski crystals (which are about 70% LEAD oxide), you could get yourself into legal trouble if you display it in a way that implies it's for kids under the age of 12. 
  • The prop clashes with your shop. If you sell 50 different items, and none of them have props, the one that does have a prop is going to stand out and may look out of place. This can also apply if you use a radically different style of prop for one or two images. For example, a pink, fluffy bunny plushie would make a really odd prop in a shop full of dark, gothic jewelry. Even if the bunny makes a really good prop for that particular item, it clashes with the shop (and possibly it's target market). 
There are, however, a few good reasons why you might want to include a prop:
Mannequin head gives size reference.
  • If it shows the scale of your item. Sellers on ebay are well known for including photos of their items next to rulers or coins. This is a valid approach if you're selling supplies or something else where the exact size is important. If you're selling something that is meant to be worn (clothing, jewelry, or some other accessory), then having a photo that gives an idea of human scale is always a plus. For example, I have both a dress form and a mannequin head. I've used the dress form to show the size of shirts, aprons, scarves, and handbags. I reserve the mannequin head for hats and lace jewelry. 
  • If it clarifies what your item is. Sometimes showing the item alone is too sterile. For example, I sell monogrammed bookmarks, but a photo of a bookmark alone doesn't always translates as a 'bookmark' when people see it. However, when people see my bookmark in a book (usually the dictionary), they know instantly what it is. I will still include a photo of the bookmark completely alone (both front and back) as an additional supporting image, but that's not the main product thumbnail. 
Can you tell what this is? It's a bit
hard with a pure white background.
    Including a book makes it easy to see
    this is a monogrammed bookmark.
  • It shows how the item is used or worn. For example, if you sell cutting boards, a chef's knife would make a good prop. Displaying a handcarved serving spoon next to some leafy salad shows how it's used. If you sell wooden business card holders, including a photo with it full of business cards would be appropriate. Having an elastic handband on a decoupaged round foam ball gives a better idea of how it might be worn compared to the same headband laying flat. Displaying a necklace draped over a piece of drift wood may help the buyer to see how flexible the chain is. 
I include candy in this shot to show how
this Halloween bag is meant to be used.
  • If it shows how the item will arrive. Some sellers display their product along with their packaging, and this can be both attractive and informative. For example, I display my Embroidered Sweet Pea Baby Blanket tied up in ribbon. I tried photographing it both with and without it, and this is what looked best.  I've seen bath and body sellers who include packaging elements in the background, and that can be OK too - particularly since that packaging often gives useful information, like the lotion's scent or one of its major ingredients. 
    It's OK to include photos that
    show elements of your packaging.
  • If it creates an emotional image or feeling that enhances the product. If you sell vintage lace gloves, displaying them on top of some antique pieces of luggage may convey a sense of nostalgia for times past and time-honored heritage. Often these shots have very soft shadows to enhance the feminine feeling. If you sell candles, you may choose to light one and to display it along with a formal place setting in the background to evoke a romantic candle-lit dinner.  I used brightly colored candy and a bright purple backdrop with the Halloween bag above to evoke the bright, cheerful glee of Halloween. 
  • If it enhances your branding. This is a tricky one to pull off, but sometimes having a certain type of prop in your photos can tie your shop together. For example, I have seen some jewelry sellers who frequently use silk flowers in their photos. Or driftwood. Or seashells. The ones who do it well pick something that brings out the color, brightness, or shine of the products in a pleasant way. And they NEVER let the prop overwhelm the scene. 
The best props will accomplish several goals. It will compliment the size, scale, color and texture of the item while showing the use or creating an emotional image.

What are your opinions on props? Do you use them or like seeing them? Why? 

19 comments:

  1. Great post with helpful pointers on using props - or not! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful post! Very informative and your photos look great. :) I always use my dress form with my scarves, both to show how the scarf would look wrapped around the neck, and to give some consistency with my scarf photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nikki, I've always loved the dress form in your shop! Yours is made with a distinctive fabric, so I think it's a great example of a prop that ties a shop together in addition to giving a sense of human scale.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Michelle. That is exactly why I chose that dress form in particular. I had been looking for one for a long time, and when I came across that one, I knew it was the right one for me. Glad my intended outcome with it is showing through to others. :)

      Delete
  3. Great article, Michelle. Thank you for taking the time to write it. I use props sparingly (at least I hope that's how people view them): purple silk flowers, greenery and a coin for size comparison. Got tired of the starkness of an all white background so wanted to add a bit of interest in a corner or at the top of a photo. I agree, some people go overboard and what they're trying to sell gets lost. Like the way you photograph your earrings on the mannequin. Have thought about getting one but find many kind of creepy. Yours looks great, however!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are one of the sellers I was thinking of when I mentioned using silk flowers tastefully to tie a shop's photography together. I think one of the reasons yours work so well is because you pretty much only stick with complimentary colors (orange and purple). It makes your images bold and bright and fun. Though, they only ever peek out of the corner of the shot, so they never overwhelm.

      Delete
    2. I've noticed that mannequins look more or less creepy depending on the angle and lighting of the shot. Also, using a wig can really help. I actually have two wigs - a curly brunette and a straight-haired blonde. I wanted to be able to show certain pieces against light hair or dark hair and also two different textures of hair. Out of the two, I think the curly wig photographs better because the texture tones down some of the artificialness of the mannequin.

      I looked through a LOT of different mannequin heads on ebay before I picked out the one I have. The model I use is sometimes labeled as MD-EvenlyHD by sellers.

      I ended up getting the wig from the clearance section of a wig shop. It's a very high-quality wig which really helps the shot because the shots I'm taking are supposed to be capturing a lot of detail near the jewelry. However, I got it at a reasonable price because the store was selling off their floor model.

      Delete
    3. Thanks, Michelle, for your kind comments about my photos (: Also thank you for the mannequin information. A non-creepy mannequin will be on my list of 2015 "to do's". I appreciate the model name.

      Delete
  4. Very good reading. I notice that sometimes when I use props, it helps the overall photo in general. Seems to have an effect on the lighting, making the image clearer, however, crystal jewelry is very difficult to photograph whether a prop is used or not. :) - Connie - The Singing Beader

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crystal jewelry can be hard to photograph. I wonder if using a prop provides a bit of color for the crystal to reflect.

      Delete
  5. Very good advice -- especially for me. I can go a bit wild on props and backgrounds. I will try to follow your suggestions. Thank you, Michellle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your props may fall under the category of creating an emotional feeling. A lot of your items are from Asia and have a history with distinct ethnic cultures. Your props tend to reinforce the idea that the items came from an exotic culture. However, it's always good to experiment, test, and re-evaluate whether the reason you've included a prop is a good one.

      Delete
  6. Very helpful article! I don't use a lot of props for my items. Ideally, I want to use my cupcake toppers on cupcakes but that means I will need to buy them all the time. Wish I can make them myself ( I failed once and haven't try it again). I do occasionally get pictures from my customers and those are great because it captures how the item is used in a real party. How to get more pictures? This is another strategy that I am going to implement in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This may seem a bit gross, but does the cupcake still need to be edible for it to make a good prop? Depending on the type of frosting, a stale cupcake may still photograph as well (or almost as well) as a fresh one. Though a realistic, fake cupcake would probably be better.

      You can try to make them yourself with plaster:
      https://snapguide.com/guides/make-faux-cupcakes-using-plaster/

      Or even expandable foam:
      http://www.instructables.com/id/Fake-Cupcakes/?ALLSTEPS

      The comments section of the instructables site has a few alternative frosting methods. Apparently, royal icing lasts forever once it dries (so no need to use spackle or plaster), though silicone caulking also works.

      There is also a seller on etsy, FakeCupcakeCreations, who sells fake cupcakes if you don't want to DiY.

      Delete
    2. Can you offer some sort of incentive for your customers to send you photos? For example
      - Offer a coupon off a future order for any photo you choose to publish
      - Run a contest where you pick a winner (but can also use any photos submitted for marketing)

      Sometimes people are just happy to see their images pop up on the internet with an acknowledgement, but whatever method you choose, your customer needs to see what's in it for them.

      Delete
  7. Very interesting post. I do use props on ocassion, usually a piece of driftwood.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great article! I struggle with this because I think jewelry needs something other than a plain white background. After reading your article I think I need a particular prop that represents my brand. Not sure what that is, but I'll keep working on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's always some debate as to whether plain white or a distinctive background is better. There are pros and cons to each.

      Delete